I thought it would be fun to do a blog on my training from Ironman Cairns last year to Ironman Cairns this year and maybe compare this lead up to last Ironman lead up.
- Ironman Cairns 2016 time: 10:46
- Ironman Cairns 2017 time: 1035
Ironman Cairns 2017
In the year leading into Ironman Cairns 2017, my training year looked something like:
- Swim: 149 sessions with a total of 317km (33 more sessions and 81km more than the year before)
- Bike: 143 rides with a total of 7,433km (30 more sessions and 1908km more than the year before)
- Run: 118 runs with a total of of 1,610km (16 more sessions and 293km more than the year before)
- Strength & conditioning sessions: 113 sessions (52 sessions more than the year before)
- Swim cord sessions: 28 sessions (didn’t do them the year before)
- Oxygen deprivation sessions: 87 sessions (didn’t do them the year before)
- Mobility sessions: 106 sessions (didn’t do them the year before)
- Meditated: 34 times (didn’t do it the year before)
There were two big mistakes I made in the lead up to Ironman 2017 that I wanted to address in Ironman 2018.
- I was very inconsistent in the first six months but became very consistent in the six months leading into the race.
- I rarely used a foam roller causing a number of small niggling injuries like shin splints, calf strain, achillies, small hamstring strain and a couple of times killer back pains.
Ironman Cairns 2018
In the past year, I focused on being very consistent from the get go however I went into last Ironman with an achillies injury so after Ironman, I had in total eight weeks off running.
I also wanted to get through the year injury free so I adopted the mentality that I will use the foam roller three times a week.
(note these numbers are in the past 51 weeks, I’m not including race week)
- Swim: 152 sessions with a total of 338km (21km more than last year)
- Bike: 181 sessions with a total of 8,189km (756km more than last year)
- Run: 139 sessions with a total of 1,641km (31km more than last year)
- Strength & Conditioning: 135 sessions (22 more than last year)
- Swim Cord sessions: 67 sessions (39 sessions more than last year)
- Oxygen deprivation sessions: 125 sessions (38 more than last year)
- Mobility sessions: 208 sessions (102 sessions more than last year)
- Meditated: 58 times (24 more times than last year)
- Foam Roller: 138 sessions (didn’t do it last year)
- Rehab sessions (for achillies): 79 sessions
Other things I track
I have turned into a bit of a data geek. Each year I track a little bit more than the year before. I have visions of me being 84 years old and Dr House wondering what is wrong with me and I show him all my data for the past forty odd years and doing half his job for him.
This year I also started tracking:
- Sleep (every day since Cairns last year) – Total of 2743.5 hrs sleep
- Diet score (every day since Cairns): This is a blog in itself
- Motivational levels (from 44 weeks out) This is a blog in itself
- Weight and body composition (body composition 23 weeks out)
- Daily steps (17 weeks out): 1,715,524 steps (including running)
- Work hrs (one week I normally work 24 hrs and the next 60hrs): Total of 2743.5hrs
How do I compare to past years?
This is really hard to tell as in past Ironman, I normally let myself go and start to really train for it in the six months leading into it and by the time I get to Ironman, I am feeling really fit and can’t wait.
This time I stayed very consistent throughout the past year not letting myself get unfit so I feel normal. I have been able to do a few things in training I have never been able to do and I have recovered from training sessions faster than ever before so there are some positives, but there just isn’t that feeling like “Crikey I am feeling it”.
The twenty weeks leading into this Ironman Cairns
- Swim 4km of greater: 13 swim sessions (2 more than last year)
- Bike approx 4hrs: 7 rides (same as last year)
- Bike approx 6hrs: 7 rides (3 less than last year)
- Runs approx 20km: 9 runs (2 more than last year)
- Runs approx 30km: 8 runs (same as last year)
- Brick sessions: 7 runs off the bike (3 more than last year)